It's going to be a really fun season. The goal for this year is to keep teaching the basics of baseball. We'll introduce three new concepts:
- Sliding: Players must slide into second, third and home if the play is close.
- Pitching: Every player who wants to try pitching will get a chance to do so in practice.
- Playing catcher: We'll have catcher's gear and can give anyone interested lessons on playing the position.
Early in the season, one of the coaches will pitch to all batters. Eventually, we will have the kids pitching during games.
Schedule: First practice is April 2!
We will have activities Tuesday and Thursday evening and on Saturday mornings.
- Tuesday (6 to 7:15) -- This will be our primary practice, where we work on skill development. Cockeysville Middle School, Field 3 (just down the hill from the parking lot)
- Thursday (6 to 7:15) -- This is a more informal practice where the focus will be on getting kids more swings as they get accustomed to hitting live pitching. Cockeysville Middle School, Field 4 (the field farthest from the school)
- Saturday April 2, 9, 16 (9:45 to 11) -- We won't start playing games until April 23, so for the first part of the season we'll use this time as practice. CMS Field 3
Opening Day wll be April 23 and I'll send more details about that once I have them. The season schedule is still being worked out (we only have three teams in our league so we are looking for other opponents) but the games will generally be Saturday morning.
Each child should bring a glove and water bottle to practice. The league will provide bats and helmets, so you do not need to have your own. Players should wear baseball pants or sweatpants so they can practice sliding. Baseball cleats are recommended, as well.
I hope to have hats and uniforms (including one pair of baeball pants) available at the first practice.